Monday, January 30, 2012

A hard decision, will be leaving my son for a week

One of the hardest things I will have to do in my life so far:

I have to leave my son for a week. No physical contact, no being near him, only skype & face time.

This is not optional, this was not an easy choice.

My son deserves a healthy mommy to take good care of him, take him to the park, play with him, cook him good meals, and all that good stuff.

I have had a thyroid problem for several years, over 10 years even.  It has been laying low, and not really done anything in that 10 years.  I haven't been on medication for it.  I have a rather large nodule, but it hadn't changed in size at all.... that is until this last year.  Now, I am trying to get healthy, for my son and for any future children we might have.  I have had low energy for several years, spells of anxiety, which all may be attributed to my thyroid.  Add on top of that a large growing nodule in my neck that is starting to cause issues with swallowing... I think it's time.

I had two choices... and this was a VERY hard decision.  Some of you may not agree with my choice, but it is what it is.  I had to choose between radioactive iodine treatment (RAI) or surgery.  I have chosen to go with RAI.  There are several factors that led to this decision.  It requires I will have to be away from children for at least a week.  The easiest way to do this is to remove me from the household for a week.  I couldn't bear the thought of making my son leave his house and his mom & dad for the duration, so he will be staying here with my mother in law, and my hubby when he is not at work.  I will be staying at a relative's house.

I know my son will miss me, I mean, he has me all day long.  He misses me when I go to somewhere and leave him at home with my husband.  I'm just glad he is young enough that he shouldn't remember me leaving him for so long.  I will miss him dearly.  I am thankful for things like skype and face time.  This means I will actually be able to see and talk to my son during this time.

If any of you have suggestions of what I can do to make this easier, please leave a comment.  I appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment